Friday, November 16, 2012

Fundamental Fitness Beliefs

It is worthwhile to talk about where I am coming from in terms of fitness. These are things I have learned through trial and error as well as self directed education and formal stuff.

Some quotes really say a lot about my beliefs in terms of fitness:
1) "There is no such thing as too strong, only too slow" -Attributed to an unknown SF NCO
2) "I don't want to be the biggest guy, the strongest guy or the fastest guy, but I want to be big, strong and fast" -CPT M my old boss
3) "You are only as strong as your weakest link, so don't have any weak links" -Unknown

Fundamental beliefs:
-I believe function is more important than form. At this stage in my life I exercise to improve and maintain my physical capabilities to be a protector, soldier and all around capable guy. Really don't care much what I look like. Also I would rather suprise people by being stronger than I look than the opposite.
-Strength is a good thing. A high level of strength lets you do things a weaker person cannot. Also strength makes a relative exercise lower in intensity (because you are stronger) and thus higher reps are possible.
-I believe in building strength through compound multi joint exercises like squat, dead lift, bench press, military press and power clean.
-Form follows function. A guy who bench pressed 1.75x BW (body weight), squats 2.25x body weight and runs a 10k in a respectable time is going to look like the athletic guy he is. If folks want to do the whole body building thing that is fine but I do not think it is necessary in terms of real capabilities. A dude who can do 10+ pullups with a fighting load (40-50+ pounds) will have arms that look just fine.
-I do not, as a general rule, believe in single joint (bicep curls, tri extensions, leg curls/ extensions, etc all) exercises should be avoided. The three valid reasons for doing them are A) to conduct rehab/ prehab on injured body parts. B) to address physical imbalances and  C) to improve at, or break plateau's on the big lifts.
-Running is a good thing and you should do it.
-For functional fitness as a soldier or potential G ruck marching is essential. The ability to carry yourself as well as a fighting and sustainment load over distance at a relatively (even a fast road marcher is slow compared to a guy on a bike, let alone with a truck) high speed.
-Stealing a line from Jim Wendler I do not believe in bulking and toning and all of that junk. If you are strong and in shape all the time that stuff is just stupid. Sure things ebb and flow. Our pursuit of fitness changes with our goals. Maybe we run a bit more to get ready for a race or lift a bit more to get ready for sports or whatever. The point is that it is minor course corrections, not 180 degree turns.

That is all I can think of right now.

2 comments:

  1. I like the compound movements too, but add in at least a set or more of assistance work, and like to to a biceps/triceps superset day once in a while, when I have time.

    You are right, though, the most efficient exercises are the compound, multi-joint ones, but the assistance work can pay dividends, too. My bench work took off when I started hammering my triceps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AP, IIRC a serious old school power lifter called tri extensions the 4th power lift.

    ReplyDelete