Thursday, November 15, 2012

Speed Ruck

Today I went for a quick short ruck. After work I had to go do some stuff in the computer lab so it was getting close to dinner time. Put on my oldie but goodie REI ruck with a total weight of 40 pounds. The goal was to do approximately 2 miles (probably 1.8) as fast as possible without running. To me ruck running The ground is gently slopped on the way out and thus upward slopped on the way back. The time was 19:40.

The goal of these fast rucks is two fold building the ability to conduct intense cardiovascular events of reasonable duration and to improve my combat fitness. I don't think all ruck marches have to be telatively slow endurance fests. While they have value I can pretty much show up and walk 16ish minute miles with a combat load for a really long time. Also this sort of ruck takes less time.

Once I get a bit more used to the elevation here and build the work capacity for my planned routine things will change. I plan to keep increasing the weight and sometimes distance.

Being able to do a 12 mile road march at a sub 12 minute mile split without running would be pretty awesome. I think that is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment